Monday, June 30, 2008

Scouts

A couple of weekends ago I had a chance to go backpacking with the older Scouts in our ward. They are in training to hike Mount Whitney in August, so they have been hiking all of the peaks near us. This particular weekend we chose to tackle Mount San Gorgonio, it is the highest peak in Southern California with an elevation of 11,500 feet.

I have to admit that I am pretty out of shape, so I was a little worried about the hike. I also have to admit that it kicked my butt. It was quite a hike, it ended up being 18 miles round trip, and about 5,500 feet of elevation gain, but it was all worth it. The scenery was spectacular. Before living here, I would have never thought Southern California would have such beautiful mountains.

(1. Starting out; 2. Hanging Valley; 3. Still some snow left)





(1. What a view; 2. Group summit picture; 3. Hiking back down)




(1. The blisters; 2. One of my bloody socks)

3 comments:

Cameron said...

Hey LT, this is Cameron Roberts. I ran across your blog and thought that I would comment. Cute little girl. Email me some time or something.

Preston Redd said...

Yikes! Lance those socks and ankles look mighty painful. Have you recovered? The views were spectacular. I can see why you love your calling. I know how you love hiking but.....you better get some new socks and maybe a new pair of boots.

Clayton Val Bowen said...

You should have brought mole skin. Maybe next time. How did you get conned into going on the trip?